According to cheeroutdoor, Sanger, Texas is a small city located in the north-central part of the state. It sits on the banks of the Elm Fork of the Trinity River and is surrounded by rolling hills and heavily wooded areas. The climate in Sanger is mild and humid, with hot summers and mild winters.
The history of Sanger goes back to 1845 when it was established as a trading post along the Shawnee Trail. It was incorporated in 1876 and has been steadily growing ever since. In terms of politics, Sanger is part of Denton County, which is primarily conservative but has a mix of Democratic and Republican representatives at both local and national levels.
The economy in Sanger is largely based on agriculture, but there are also some manufacturing, retail, and tourism businesses in town as well. The city has several major employers such as Pilgrim’s Pride Corp., Albertsons, Lowe’s Home Improvement Warehouse, Walmart Supercenter, Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co., and more.
Sanger ISD serves most of the public school students living within city limits with three elementary schools (Kindergarten-5th grade), one middle school (6th-8th grade), one high school (9th-12th grade), an alternative education campus for at-risk youth (Kindergarten-12th grade) as well as a career technology center for high school students interested in technical programs like automotive repair or culinary arts.
In terms of landmarks there are several to explore within Sanger including historic downtown Sanger Square which features many 19th century buildings that have been restored over the years including an old bank building that houses a museum today; First United Methodist Church which dates back to 1886; City Park which includes picnic tables and walking trails; Main Street Bridge which was built in 1937; and Elm Fork Nature Preserve which offers hiking trails along with opportunities to spot wildlife like deer or foxes.
Population: 4,534. Estimated population in July 2020: 6,354 (+40.1% change)
Males: 2,188 (48.3%), Females: 2,346 (51.7%)
Zip code: 76266
Median resident age: 31.5 years
Median household income: $40,380
Median house value: $75,700
Races in Sanger:
- White Non-Hispanic (83.2%)
- Hispanic (11.3%)
- Other race (4.2%)
- Black (3.0%)
- American Indian (2.4%)
- Two or more races (2.4%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (14.5%), German (13.9%), Irish (12.0%), English (9.4%), French (2.8%), Scotch-Irish (2.1%).
Elevation: 665 feet
Land area: 3.1 square miles
Sanger, Texas is a small city located in the northern part of Denton County, approximately one hour away from Dallas. As of 2020, Sanger had a population of 8,931 people according to the U.S. Census Bureau. The racial makeup of the city is predominantly White (83.2%), followed by Hispanic or Latino (12.5%), and African American (3.4%). Other races make up less than 1% each.
The median age in Sanger is 33 years old, slightly lower than the national average of 37 years old. The median household income for Sanger residents is $67,723 which is higher than the national average of $60,293 and the poverty rate is 8%. This indicates that most people in Sanger are doing well financially compared to other cities in America. Education wise, more than 85% of adults over 25 have obtained at least a high school diploma while 32% have a bachelor’s degree or higher which indicates that Sanger has an educated population as well as an overall higher income bracket than other cities in Texas and across America.
For population 25 years and over in Sanger
- High school or higher: 79.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 15.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.4%
- Unemployed: 2.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sanger city
- Never married: 21.1%
- Now married: 56.5%
- Separated: 2.4%
- Widowed: 7.2%
- Divorced: 12.8%
2.8% Foreign born (2.6% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +898 (+24.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Sanger:
- DENTON HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; DENTON, TX)
- DENTON REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 15 miles; DENTON, TX)
- GAINESVILLE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 19 miles; GAINESVILLE, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Sanger:
- FORT WORTH ALLIANCE (about 28 miles; FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: AFW)
- DALLAS/FORT WORTH INTERNATIONAL (about 35 miles; DALLAS-FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: DFW)
- FORT WORTH MEACHAM INTL (about 40 miles; FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: FTW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Sanger:
- LANE FLD (about 4 miles; SANGER, TX; Abbreviation: 58F)
- IRONHEAD (about 5 miles; SANGER, TX; Abbreviation: T58)
- FLYING C (about 7 miles; SANGER, TX; Abbreviation: T87)
Amtrak station near Sanger:
- 19 miles: GAINESVILLE (605 E. CALIFORNIA ST.). Services: fully wheelchair accessible.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sanger:
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS (about 9 miles; DENTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 21,673)
- TEXAS WOMAN’S UNIVERSITY (about 12 miles; DENTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,746)
- NORTH CENTRAL TEXAS COLLEGE (about 19 miles; GAINESVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,018)
- DEVRY INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 34 miles; IRVING, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,651)
- COLLIN COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE-CENTRAL PARK (about 37 miles; MCKINNEY, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,514)
- NORTH LAKE COLLEGE (about 37 miles; IRVING, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,554)
- UNIVERSITY OF DALLAS (about 39 miles; IRVING, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,400)
Public high school in Sanger:
- SANGER H S (Students: 644; Location: 100 INDIAN LN; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Sanger:
- CLEAR CREEK INT (Students: 474; Location: 1901 S STEMMONS; Grades: 04 – 06)
- CHISHOLM TRAIL EL (Students: 430; Location: 812 N KEATON; Grades: 01 – 03)
- SANGER MIDDLE (Students: 351; Location: 105 N BERRY; Grades: 07 – 08)
- TENDERFOOT PRIMARY (Students: 201; Location: 404 HUGHES; Grades: PK – KG)
- LINDA TUTT HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 50; Location: PO BOX 2399; Grades: 01 – 12)
Library in Sanger:
- SANGER PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $88,757; Location: 501 BOLIVAR ST; 15,816 books; 313 audio materials; 648 video materials; 21 serial subscriptions)