Magnolia, Texas is a small city located in Montgomery County, Texas near Houston. It has a population of around 2,600 people and is known for its rural charm and strong sense of community. The geography of Magnolia is mainly flat with rolling hills to the West and North. It has a humid subtropical climate with hot summers and mild winters. Check whicheverhealth for information about Addison, Texas.
The history of Magnolia dates back to 1848 when it was first settled by pioneers from Tennessee. The city experienced an economic boom in the mid-1900s when oil was discovered in the region. The economy of Magnolia relies heavily on oil production, agriculture, and tourism. There are several large employers in the area including an oil refinery, a paper mill, and a cattle ranch.
Education is important in Magnolia with several schools providing quality education for students from kindergarten through 12th grade. Higher education options are available nearby at Sam Houston State University or Lone Star College – Montgomery Campus.
Events are held throughout the year such as the annual Magnolia Fest which features music, food trucks, vendors, and more! Other popular events include the Magnolia BBQ Cook-Off & Festival and Christmas on the Square.
The most notable landmark in Magnolia is Old Town Hall which was built in 1872 as a meeting place for local farmers and ranchers to discuss politics and other matters of importance to them at that time. Other landmarks include The Little White House which served as an early schoolhouse for many years before it was converted into a museum dedicated to preserving local history; and Pioneer Park which features walking trails around scenic lakes perfect for fishing or bird watching.
Population: 1,111. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,187 (+6.8% change)
Males: 545 (49.1%), Females: 566 (50.9%)
Zip codes: 77354, 77355.
Median resident age: 34.1 years
Median household income: $41,875
Median house value: $94,600
Races in Magnolia:
- White Non-Hispanic (83.3%)
- Black (11.3%)
- Hispanic (4.1%)
- Other race (1.6%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
- Two or more races (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (16.7%), Irish (14.7%), United States (7.8%), French (5.8%), English (5.1%), Scotch-Irish (4.0%).
Land area: 2.1 square miles
Neah Magnolia, Texas is a small town located in the heart of Central Texas. It has a population of approximately 4,000 people and is home to some of the most beautiful scenery in the state. The cost of living in Neah Magnolia is relatively low compared to other towns in the area. Housing costs are quite affordable and range from single family homes to apartments. Utilities such as electricity and water are also quite reasonable. In terms of transportation, Neah Magnolia is served by several bus routes as well as easy access to major highways and interstates. Shopping is also convenient with several grocery stores, specialty shops, and a few malls nearby. The town also boasts numerous restaurants, bars, cafes, and other entertainment venues that cater to all tastes and budgets. The community prides itself on its friendly atmosphere that encourages social interaction with neighbors and visitors alike. Neah Magnolia offers its residents an enjoyable lifestyle with plenty of activities for everyone to enjoy including fishing, camping, swimming, golfing, biking trails, and much more!
For population 25 years and over in Magnolia
- High school or higher: 79.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 14.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.2%
- Unemployed: 6.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 37.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Magnolia city
- Never married: 20.1%
- Now married: 56.4%
- Separated: 1.8%
- Widowed: 10.8%
- Divorced: 10.9%
2.5% Foreign born (1.7% Latin America, 0.5% Asia, 0.3% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +182 (+19.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Magnolia:
- TOMBALL REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; TOMBALL, TX)
- HEALTHSOUTH REHAB HOSP NORTH HOUSTON (about 18 miles; CONROE, TX)
- CONROE REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 19 miles; CONROE, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Magnolia:
- GEORGE BUSH INTERCONTINENTAL ARPT/HOUSTON (about 34 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: IAH)
- EASTERWOOD FIELD (about 49 miles; COLLEGE STATION, TX; Abbreviation: CLL)
- WILLIAM P HOBBY (about 52 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: HOU)
Other public-use airports nearest to Magnolia:
- MAY (about 14 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: T51)
- DAVID WAYNE HOOKS MEMORIAL (about 18 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: DWH)
- WEISER AIR PARK (about 21 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: EYQ)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Magnolia:
- PRAIRIE VIEW A & M UNIVERSITY (about 19 miles; PRAIRIE VIEW, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,823)
- NORTH HARRIS MONTGOMERY COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT (about 31 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 13,933)
- HOUSTON COMMUNITY COLLEGE SYSTEM (about 34 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 21,140)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER (about 34 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,595)
- SAM HOUSTON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 38 miles; HUNTSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 10,429)
- HOUSTON BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 40 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,273)
- RICE UNIVERSITY (about 41 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,158)
Public high schools in Magnolia:
- MAGNOLIA H S (Students: 2,450; Location: 829 S MAGNOLIA ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
- ALPHA (Students: 87; Location: 829 S MAGNOLIA ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Magnolia:
- BEAR BRANCH EL (Students: 1,005; Location: 8909 FM 1488; Grades: PK – 05)
- MAGNOLIA J H (Students: 867; Location: 829 S MAGNOLIA ST; Grades: 06 – 08)
- CEDRIC C SMITH (Students: 808; Location: 829 S MAGNOLIA ST; Grades: PK – 05)
- WILLIE E WILLIAMS ELEMENTARY (Students: 807; Location: 829 S MAGNOLIA ST; Grades: PK – 05)
- J L LYON ELEMENTARY (Students: 757; Location: 829 S MAGNOLIA ST; Grades: PK – 05)
- DECKER PRAIRIE EL (Students: 660; Location: 27427 DECKER PRAIRIE-ROSEHILL; Grades: PK – 04)
- BEAR BRANCH J H (Students: 569; Location: 829 S MAGNOLIA ST; Grades: 06 – 08)
- NICHOLS SAWMILL ELEMENTARY (Students: 519; Location: 829 S MAGNOLIA ST; Grades: PK – 05)
- MAGNOLIA ELEMENTARY (Students: 518; Location: 829 S MAGNOLIA ST; Grades: PK – 05)
- MAGNOLIA JUNIOR HIGH SIXTH GRADE C (Students: 455; Location: 829 S MAGNOLIA ST; Grades: 06 – 06)