Viva Las Vegas! Stand at the famous Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas sign, ride the world’s largest Ferris wheel and put everything on red. Las Vegas attracts countless entertainers every year and amazes its visitors. Top-class hotels and casinos on every corner – but that is by no means all that Sin City has to offer. Here I introduce you to the glittering metropolis – with everything that goes with it. I’ll show you the best hotels and sights that you can’t miss. I’ll introduce you downtown and tell you about good restaurants and buffets. I’ll take you to the famous Strip and downtown, where the city’s history has its roots. Find out everything that Las Vegas has to offer in this travel guide. With this information you are perfectly prepared for your trip to the city of entertainment.
About Las Vegas
- Location: in the Mohave Desert in Nevada, in the southwest of the USA
- Country: USA
- largest city in the US state of Nevada
- Official language: American
- Population: 632,912 (as of 2016)
- Currency: dollar
- international airport: McCarran International Airport
- Time difference: -9 hours
Climate and weather in Las Vegas
In the glittering metropolis Las Vegas there is a dry desert climate. This makes for very hot summers and mild temperatures in winter. In the summer months of June, July and August, temperatures quickly rise to over 40 degrees Celsius. Even in the nights it is still warm and summery. In winter, on the other hand, you need a jacket for the evenings and nights. The winter temperatures in Las Vegas move around freezing at night. In November, December, January and February you can expect maximum temperatures between 14 and 20 degrees Celsius. The winter months also have the most rainy days per month. Usually it rains two days a month. This is not often, but the increased chance of rain poses a danger for the so-called tunnel people in Las Vegas. If it rains, the tunnels that are home to many homeless people quickly fill up with water. The weather is best in Las Vegas in spring and autumn. It’s neither too cold nor too hot to explore the city in the US state of Nevada. In April and May it is 25 to 31 degrees Celsius a day. At night the temperatures are a pleasant 10 to 16 degrees Celsius. The months of September and October score with daytime temperatures of 28 to 35 degrees Celsius, with nighttime temperatures of 12 to 19 degrees Celsius. Basically, when traveling to Las Vegas, you can go on vacation there all year round.
Las Vegas tips
- Arriving by plane: From Graz and Vienna, airlines fly to McCarran International Airport with a stop in Las Vegas. For example, you can fly to Chicago with Austrian Airlines and from there to the Nevada desert with United Airlines.
- The airport is only a few kilometers from the center. You can take a shuttle bus from the airport to the hotel. They run every few minutes and are cheap.
- Flight time from Austria to Las Vegas: between 15 and 20 hours.
- Airlines: Austrian Airlines, Eurowings, Lufthansa, Ryanair, NIKI, Condor and many more.
- You need a passport to enter the country. The passport must be valid for at least 6 months upon entry.
- As an Austrian citizen, you have to submit an Esta application before your arrival. If you do not have an Austrian passport, other rules may apply to entering the USA, such as having to apply for a visa.
- Means of payment : In Las Vegas you can actually pay anything with your credit card, but you can also pay in cash.
- Tip : It’s best to always have a few $ 1 bills with you. The so-called tips are an absolute must in casinos, hotels, bars and clubs. Typically, a $ 1 tip per drink is enough.
- Free Drinks in the Casino : Alcohol is expensive in Las Vegas. But not when you sit at the tables or one-armed bandits in the casinos and gamble. Then you can drink for free, no matter whether alcoholic beverages or soft drinks!
- Drive Uber : If you want to save money, Uber is the cheaper alternative to taking a taxi. Download the app and set up an account. Then you can take advantage of the inexpensive driving service.
- Ticket Corner : If you want to visit one of the numerous shows in Las Vegas, you need tickets. There are ticket corners throughout the city that sell you tickets up to 50% cheaper than the original prices.
- If you want to keep an eye on your budget, I’ll show you how you can vacation in Las Vegas cheaply.
- Have you never been to the glittering metropolis? Here are some more tips if you ‘re in Las Vegas for the first time.
- Travel allowances (further information at the customs office ):
- For luxury goods such as tobacco products and alcohol: eg a maximum of 200 cigarettes and 1 liter of spirits are tax-free.
- for other goods: up to a total value of 300 €.
Las Vegas shows
In addition to the countless casinos, Las Vegas is world-famous for another entertainment format: the spectacular shows. Everyone knows Siegfried and Roy and their white tigers and lions. Your time is over, but today’s stage shows are in no way inferior to their shows. Magic, acrobatics, acting, comedy and music – in Las Vegas you can draw on unlimited resources when it comes to impressive shows. New and world-famous musicians keep coming to the stages of Las Vegas. Britney Spears, Bruno Mars, Celine Dion and whoever it doesn’t exist. If you are into acrobatics, you should definitely check out Cirque du Soleil. Or what about David Copperfield’s magic tricks? Who pay nothing, but still from a Las Vegas show. If you want to be impressed, you can, for example, see the water feature in front of the famous Bellagio. The volcanic eruption in front of the Mirage Hotel is also recommended. There are numerous shows in Las Vegas, so the decision is by no means easy.