Fairhope, Alabama is a small city located in Baldwin County in the south of the state. See health-beauty-guides for top counties in Alabama. It is situated on the eastern shore of Mobile Bay and has a population of approximately 16,000 people. The geography of Fairhope is mostly flat with rolling hills that overlook Mobile Bay. The climate is humid subtropical with warm summers and mild winters.
Fairhope was founded in 1894 by a group of settlers from the Free Thinkers Society who wanted to create a utopian society based on their ideals. The settlers purchased 19,000 acres and divided it into small plots for cultivation, creating an agricultural economy which still exists today. In addition to agriculture, Fairhope has become known as an artistic and cultural center with many galleries, festivals, and events held throughout the year.
Politically Fairhope is part of Baldwin County which typically votes Republican in elections but has been trending Democratic in recent years. There are several schools located within Fairhope including elementary schools, middle schools, high schools, as well as two colleges: Faulkner State Community College and Coastal Alabama Community College.
Fairhope has several notable landmarks including Weeks Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve which offers educational programs about nature and conservation; Windmill Hill Park where visitors can enjoy views of Mobile Bay; and the historic Marietta Johnson Museum which celebrates the life of Marietta Johnson who was an educator and advocate for health reform in early 20th century Alabama.
Population: 12,480. Estimated population in July 2020: 15,391 (+23.3% change)
Males: 5,670 (45.4%), Females: 6,810 (54.6%)
Zip codes: 36532.
Median resident age: 44.5 years
Median household income: $42,912
Median house value: $149,900
Races in Fairhope:
- White Non-Hispanic (89.6%)
- Black (7.8%)
- Hispanic (1.0%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
Ancestries: English (18.3%), German (11.0%), United States (10.2%), Irish (8.4%), Scotch-Irish (5.1%), French (4.2%).
Elevation: 122 feet
Land area: 11.0 square miles
Fairhope, Alabama is a small city located on the Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay. It has a population of about 15,000 people, making it the second-largest city in Baldwin County. The racial makeup of Fairhope is 86.3% White, 8.9% African American, 1.6% Asian, 1.2% from other races and 2.0% from two or more races. The median age in Fairhope is 45 years old and about 32% of the population is under the age of 18.
The economy of Fairhope is largely driven by tourism, with many visitors coming to visit its beautiful beaches and attractions such as Weeks Bay Reserve and Fairhope Municipal Pier. Other industries include agriculture (primarily poultry), retail, finance and healthcare services. The unemployment rate in Fairhope is relatively low at 4%, which indicates a healthy economy overall. Education levels are also high with almost 90% of adults holding at least a high school diploma or higher degree and almost 40% holding a bachelor’s degree or higher degree. In addition to that, there are several higher education institutions located nearby such as University of South Alabama and Faulkner State Community College that offer additional educational opportunities for residents of Fairhope and surrounding areas.
For population 25 years and over in Fairhope
- High school or higher: 89.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 37.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 16.0%
- Unemployed: 2.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Fairhope city
- Never married: 15.3%
- Now married: 62.6%
- Separated: 0.9%
- Widowed: 11.3%
- Divorced: 10.0%
3.1% Foreign born (1.6% Europe, 0.6% Asia, 0.5% Latin America, 0.4% North America).
Population change in the 1990s: +3,173 (+34.1%).
Hospital/medical center in Fairhope:
- THOMAS HOSPITAL (750 MORPHY AVENUE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Fairhope:
- MERCY MEDICAL A CORPORATION (about 7 miles; DAPHNE, AL)
- UNIV OF SOUTH AL CHILDRENS AND WOMENS (about 16 miles; MOBILE, AL)
- SOUTH BALDWIN REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 17 miles; FOLEY, AL)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Fairhope:
- MOBILE DOWNTOWN (about 14 miles; MOBILE, AL; Abbreviation: BFM)
- MOBILE REGIONAL (about 26 miles; MOBILE, AL; Abbreviation: MOB)
- TRENT LOTT INTERNATIONAL (about 44 miles; PASCAGOULA, MS; Abbreviation: PQL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Fairhope:
- H L SONNY CALLAHAN (about 6 miles; FAIRHOPE, AL; Abbreviation: 4R4)
- FOLEY MUNI (about 16 miles; FOLEY, AL; Abbreviation: 5R4)
- ROY E. RAY (about 22 miles; BAYOU LA BATRE, AL; Abbreviation: 5R7)
Amtrak station near Fairhope:
- 15 miles: MOBILE (11 GOVERNMENT ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, paid short-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
College/University in Fairhope:
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH ALABAMA-BALDWIN (Full-time enrollment: 5,582; Location: 10 N SUMMIT; Public; Website: www.southalabama.edu; Offers Master’s degree)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Fairhope:
- BISHOP STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 16 miles; MOBILE, AL; Full-time enrollment: 2,758)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH ALABAMA (about 23 miles; MOBILE, AL; Full-time enrollment: 9,082)
- JAMES H FAULKNER STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 26 miles; BAY MINETTE, AL; Full-time enrollment: 2,050)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF WEST FLORIDA (about 48 miles; PENSACOLA, FL; Full-time enrollment: 6,282)
- PENSACOLA JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 49 miles; PENSACOLA, FL; Full-time enrollment: 6,036)
- MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 84 miles; PERKINSTON, MS; Full-time enrollment: 6,329)
- OKALOOSA-WALTON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 100 miles; NICEVILLE, FL; Full-time enrollment: 3,374)
Public high school in Fairhope:
- FAIRHOPE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,162; Location: 18800 GREENO RD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Fairhope:
- J LARRY NEWTON SCHOOL (Students: 773; Location: 9761 COUNTY ROAD 32; Grades: KG – 08)
- FAIRHOPE MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 666; Location: 408 N SECTION; Grades: 06 – 08)
- FAIRHOPE PRIMARY SCHOOL (Students: 415; Location: 2 N BISHOP RD; Grades: 02 – 03)
- FAIRHOPE INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL (Students: 411; Location: 1101 FAIRHOPE AVE; Grades: 04 – 05)
- FAIRHOPE K-1 CENTER (Students: 396; Location: 100 S CHURCH ST; Grades: PK – 01)
- NORTH BALDWIN ALTERNATIVE SCHOOL (Location: 6925 TWIN BEACH RD; Grades: 06 – 12)
Private primary/middle schools in Fairhope:
- MARIETTA JOHNSON SCHOOL OF ORG (Students: 51; Location: 8 MARIETTA DRIVE; Grades: KG – 7)
- EASTERN SHORE EARLY CHILDHOOD (Students: 18; Location: 1090 FAIRHOPE AVENUE; Grades: KG – 1)
Library in Fairhope:
- FAIRHOPE PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $322,842; Location: 161 NORTH SECTION STREET; 46,335 books; 2,463 audio materials; 1,813 video materials; 155 serial subscriptions)